ST. MARY'S RETREAT
After Caroline Hazard’s passing in 1945, the family leased the 2 homes to the Delta Gamma and Alpha Delta Phi sororities of the University of California at Santa Barbara, which was then located nearby to the property. Eventually the property was sold in 1952 to the Episcopal Sisterhood of the Holy Nativity, and was operated as Saint Mary’s Retreat House for women. The sisters welcomed visitors to come stay as guests in the many bedrooms on the property while engaging in meditation, group workshops and spiritual guidance.
In 1955, the sisters received approval to build the beautiful chapel that is located across the breezeway from the Dial House, and began to use it for regular services for their overnight guests and other visitors. The sisters also made a few small modifications and additions to both of the main houses during their tenure at the property.